Cannabis legalization sweeping to consume THC all the edible options out there, gummies reign supreme as the most delicious and fun THC treat. Delta 9 THC gummies provide a lifted, euphoric high perfect for enhancing activities or just relaxing at home. Although you can find gummies at most dispensaries, making them at home gives you total control over potency, flavors, and ingredients.
Why make your edibles?
While store-bought edibles certainly save time and effort, making your Delta-infused treats has some major advantages:
- Total control over potency – Make them as strong or mild as you prefer
- Ingredients you can trust – Avoid additives and artificial flavors
- Customize flavors – Match flavors to your taste preferences
- Save money – Homemade edibles cost a fraction of dispensary prices
- Fun weekend project – Infusing and creating edibles is extremely rewarding
As long as you take proper safety precautions, making THC gummies at home is a fun, cost-effective way to enjoy delicious edibles.
Choosing your cannabis infusion
The first step in gummy creation is choosing how you’ll infuse them with THC. You have a few options:
- Distillate – Extremely potent (up to 90% THC) extract that’s already activated and ready to mix into foods.
- Cannabis oil – Oil infused with activated THC that simply be measured out and added to gummies. More customizable potency.
- Can butter – THC-laced butter that replaces regular butter in delta 9 gummies DIIER but requires decarboxylation.
For simplicity, distillate and quality cannabis oils make infusing gummies easy. They are for the true DIY experience, try infusing coconut oil or butter with activated cannabis first. Just be sure to decarboxylate properly.
Choosing your base gummy recipe
There are many gummy recipe options out there, but an easy go-to is using Jello gelatin mixes. They dissolve nicely in fruit juices and contain gelatin to give gummies their chewy texture. Simply replace part of the cold liquid in Jello recipes with your cannabis infusion. It infuses each gummy with a consistent dose.
For a 3-ounce box of Jello (makes ~55 gummies):
- 3 ounces Jello mix (any flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup cannabis infusion (butter, oil, or distillate)
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup cold water (or juice)
Follow Jello box instructions, replacing 1⁄2 cup of the cold liquid with your infusion. It keeps potency around 5-10mg THC per gummy. Adjust the infusion amount to reach your desired potency. For a vegan option, use agar flakes instead of gelatin. Follow agar package instructions, substituting cannabis oils/butter for other fats/oils. Agar gummies are set more firmly than gelatin ones.
Transferring to molds
Once your gummy base is properly infused, carefully transfer it into silicon molds using a spatula, spoon, or dropper. Here are some tips:
- Lightly coat molds with oil first
- Fill molds just shy of the top
- Gently tap molds to release air bubbles
- Refrigerate 30-60 minutes until firmly set
- Carefully remove from molds and enjoy
Garnishing your gummy creations
Once unmolded, you take your gummies to the next level with fun decorations and coatings.
- Rolling in sugar or sour powder
- Melting chocolate and drizzle over top
- Decorating with sprinkles, crushed cookies, or candy bits
- Using compressed sugar sheets for wrapping
Get creative with colors and textures to make your THC gummies true showstoppers. Just be sure to keep storage conditions cool and dry to preserve potency and texture.